My hands-down, all-time favorite cookie is OATMEAL CHOCOLATE CHIP! So far, my sister’s mother-in-law makes the best recipe chalked full of butter, sugar, dark chocolate, and all-purpose flour. I have made some AMAZING versions over the years, but I often mess around with recipes trying to up the health factor without taking away all of the sweetness. Which is great in theory and sometimes works out very well. But other times, the dish loses too much of the original flavor or it stops feeling like a sweet treat. In that case, it would be better to leave well enough alone and stick with the tried and true recipe.
I’m not the biggest fan of white chocolate, certainly not if dark chocolate is available within a 500 ft. distance. But, if a bowl is placed in front of me, I’m sure a few will disappear. A few years ago, I came across a Christmas-inspired cookie idea- white chocolate cranberry cookies. These quickly became one of my favorite holiday cookies. They are festive and delicious!
This year, I decided to try dark chocolate and add some oatmeal. And, I used all whole wheat flour (ultra fine.) That’s right- delicious wholegrain cookies and no one will know the difference!!! I promise! 🙂 Plus, just a bit more of my usual messing around…
I’ve made up my mind. Now it’s your turn…which one do you prefer?
- 2 sticks butter, softened
- 3/4 c. brown sugar
- 1 Tbsp. maple syrup
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 1/4 c. applesauce
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 2 c. whole wheat flour (ultra fine)
- 1 c. oats
- 1 c. dried cranberries
- 1 - 1 1/2 c. dark or white chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. In a large mixing bowl, cream the butter, brown sugar, maple syrup and vanilla. Next, beat in the applesauce, egg, baking soda, and salt. Then, beat in the flour. Stir in the oats, cranberries, and chocolate chips. For best results, allow dough to sit in the fridge for 30 minutes (but not absolutely necessary.)
- Scoop dough onto silicone-lined baking sheets. Then, bake for 8-10 minutes, until golden brown. Allow to cool completely before moving cookies.
- These cookies are super soft- allow to cool COMPLETELY on the tray before removing!
The winner is…………………