Growing up in my parents’ household, it’s amazing I turned out so well. 😉 My parents were huge soda addicts. I can’t recall seeing my dad crack open a cold Coca-Cola at breakfast, but definitely before 10am. My mom would sip her diet cokes through a straw throughout the day. While I do enjoy soda, I try not to drink a lot of it. I’m old enough to try to avoid all of the chemicals and sweeteners, but sometimes a diet cherry limeade just hits the spot! And, if you stop between 2-4pm, it costs less than $1! A sweet summer treat for less than $1?? Yes, please!
Recently, I turned my summer drink indulgence into a refreshing dessert. These have quickly become my new favorite summer cupcake!!!
- 3/4 c. sugar
- 1 Tbsp. lime zest
- 1/2 c. unsalted butter , softened
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1/4 c. buttermilk
- 1 1/2 Tbsp. fresh lime juice
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 1/8 tsp. baking soda
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1 1/2 c. flour
- 1/2 c. butter
- 1/4 c. shortening
- 2 1/2 - 2 3/4 c. powdered sugar
- 3 Tbsp. maraschino cherry juice
- 12 maraschino cherries
- Sugar crystal sprinkles
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. In a large mixing bowl, beat the sugar with lime zest. Then, beat in the butter. Next, beat in the eggs, vanilla, buttermilk, lime juice, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Finally, beat or stir in the flour.
- Divide batter among 12 paper lined muffin cups. Bake in preheated oven until toothpick inserted into center of cupcake comes out clean, about 18 - 20 minutes. Remove from oven and allow to cool several minutes in muffin tin, then transfer to a wire rack to cool.
- In the bowl of an electric stand mixer, whip butter and shortening until pale and fluffy. Then, beat in the powdered sugar. Mixture should appear dry. Finally, add cherry juice until desired consistency is reached. Then increase mixer to medium and whip until light and fluffy. Pipe or spread over cooled cupcakes. Next, sprinkle with sugar crystals and top with a maraschino cherry.